The Rockport Church of Christ has, for nearly one hundred years, had a part in the influence, growth and progress of this area. According to Aransas County Court House records, on December 13, 1913, one James M. Percival, did at a private sale sell to W.D.L. Dye, Dr. O.F. Bonham and G.W. Manship, trustees for the Congregation of the church of Christ, lots 11 and 12, in block 26 of the Smith and Woods Division of the City of Rockport, Texas.
On June 17, 1940, the church building belonging to the First Christian Church was purchased by the church of Christ to be moved within a reasonable time to the purchased lots. On February 4, 1952, the church of Christ in Rockport purchased lots thirteen (13) and fourteen (14) in Block Twenty-six (26) in the Smith and Woods division for additional expansion. The building at 801 Mimosa was built in 1954. A preachers home was built in Fulton in 1965. The church structure was remodeled and enlarged in 1970.
April 2nd, 1978 it was announced that a new church building would begin construction on April 3rd on four acres of land purchased at 1520 Omohondro. The 14,000 square foot structure is nestled among the natural live oak trees which add to the attractiveness of the building. This energy efficient facility contains a minister's study, secretarial office, conference space for elders, deacons and various committees, ten class rooms, including nursery and cradle roll ages, a teachers workroom and fellowship area with a seating area for about 200 which can easily convert into four additional classrooms. The Auditorium will seat 504 Worshipers. The building has been designed to permit enlargement of the structure as future growth warrants such. The black-top parking lot has ample parking space and was debt free in less than ten years.
The Rockport church of Christ made up of lifelong local residents as well as brethren from all over this land. Some (especially the Winter Visitors) spend four to six months a year in Rockport and make the congregation their home while here. In the summer time the visits are of shorter duration, but just as important and just as much a part of this work as any other.
CHURCH DOCTRINE AND TEACHINGS
The congregation of the Rockport church of Christ, 1520 Omonhundro Street is dedicated to serving God and man, strictly according to the New Testament doctrine by precept and example. Our plea, to have scriptural authority for everything we do or teach. Our desire is simple, to restore the New Testament church, today, as much as possible as it was in the first century.
You are always welcome at the worship services of the Rockport church of Christ.